To foster reading and writing among 6th-12th grade students, The Community Library presents: The Book Beat.
How It Works
Students read a book and then submit an original review. One revision is required. Upon acceptance, the student will be paid $25 for his/her/their review, which will be posted on our website and in our Library Program News newsletter.
Read & Follow the Guidelines Below
Please read and follow the submission guidelines carefully before you submit your review. If you are under 18 years of age, you will also need a Parental Consent Form.
- Each book review must be between 200 and 250 words in length.
- The content must be appropriate for a general public audience.
- After receiving feedback from Library staff, the writer must complete one revision before the review will be published.
- Submissions must be original work. Submissions will be automatically rejected for plagiarism and/or the use of AI.
Once a review for a book has been published and paid for, The Community Library will no longer accept reviews of that same title. The Library will only publish and pay for one review per book.
To check if there is already a published review of the book you would like to review, please check the BOOK BEAT REVIEWS PAGE on the Library’s website. If your book has already been reviewed by another writer, you will need to choose another title.
- The writer must also submit a 2-sentence bio to be used as a byline for the Book Beat. (This is required as part of your first review submission. We will reuse your bio for future submissions).
- No photos. A bitmoji is welcome and is optional as part of your bio and review.
- Each writer may submit up to 3 reviews per month.
- Anyone in grades 6-12 may submit reviews for the Book Beat. You must reside in Blaine County and attend a public or private school in Blaine County to participate. (Homeschool students are also welcome.)
- We consider plagiarism a serious offense. Any plagiarism in whole or part will automatically disqualify your submission.
- Submit your review using the “Submit Your Review” form below.
- If you are under age 18, a Parental Consent Form is also required, which must include your parent/guardian’s signature. Form can be scanned and emailed, mailed to BOOK BEAT, PO BOX 2168, Ketchum, ID 83340; or delivered in person to The Children’s Library circulation desk at The Community Library, or email here.
Questions? Email the Children’s and Young Adult Director, DeAnn Campbell.
Submit Your Review
Submit Your Review
Parental Consent Requirements (For Students Under 18 years old)
The Community Library wants to encourage active reading and strong writing skills among Blaine County youth in grades 6-12. We are asking kids to write book reviews to be published on the Library website and in other Library publications – and we will pay them for their reviews!
Will you give permission for your child to participate in the Book Beat program? By signing this form, you agree that your child/student may participate in The Community Library’s Book Beat, and you authorize The Community Library to publish or print book reviews written by your child.
• The reviews will include the first name, the grade and a Bitmoji or other similar type of image of the child.
• We will not use last names, school or identifying photos of children.
• These records may be used for promotional or publicity purposes and may be published in mass media, social media and on Internet sites (i.e., web site, blogs, newsletters).